Monday, August 8, 2011

Working Moms...Still Rare?

I grew up with a mom who worked...maybe a little too much. She was a hard worker, an RN. She worked hard to find the balance between work and home and managing my older brother and I. I had friends who's moms worked just as much as mine did. Rarely, did I come across this foreign creature known as a "stay-at-home" mom. That was the idea that I had up until I had my own child and realized there is a huge community of stay-at-homes. And, surprisingly enough, activities for young children STILL fit the stay-at-home mom's schedule best.

When my daughter began nursery school I found it frustrating. The hours of the program were 9am to 12pm and with hours like those I couldn't drop her off and I couldn't pick her up. The fun events were scheduled during the work week in the most difficult time. I had to pick and choose which events and field trips mattered the most so I could take off from work to be there. Moms from the school would often get together after the school was out to take their kids to the playground. Many times they invited me until they realized..."oh...she WORKS..." and then that ended from there.

Society still has this image of the availability of moms to take their children to events during the middle of the day...school, sports, events, activities. Then on Saturdays when it's our day to shine, we run marathons all weekend to get something accomplished with our children.

So I put forth the question, are we working moms still a rare breed or has the times just not caught up to what works with the rest of us?



No comments:

Post a Comment